Thursday 30 April 2009

Happy Days!

Hurrah! We had our last time trial before the half-mara last night. My aim was to get under 27.43 and I SMASHED it ... 26.25! Whoo hoo. I must thank the guy who paced off me from the 3km mark and then MAJORLY peed me off when he attempted to overtake me on the last lap (we were running on a 500m track). Seriously! You're not gonna use me as your "pace car" only to run past me at the final post. Nah Uh! So we practically had a sprint finish ... and I won!!!! Yeaaaaah!

It was just as much a mental challenge as a physical one. The first 2km I found REALLY tough because my head was just saying "can't do this" and "don't want to do this" and similar. I just tried to ignore my brain and concentrate on getting my body into a good rhythm and pace, and soon after the 2km mark I felt much better physically and mentally, managing to get my brain into thinking "yes, I can do this". I heard this guy pick up his pace to follow me (3km mark) and I was still feeling positive until the lap he started trying to overtake me. Seriously, there was something in me that just wanted to give up, slow down and let him overtake me - rather than push 110% and still lose to him. BUT I managed to kick myself in the head and get "mad" almost, thinking "you douchebag, you're not gonna follow me and then beat me!" etc, and instead of thinking "I can't do this" I was thinking "YES, you can, YESSSS, you can". And when I did and could, it was just an amazing feeling. Turned around to my follower and thanked him for the "push", he laughed and said it had nearly killed him. Ha ha. Ahhh, I know it's a small and petty victory, but I did it on my own two feet without any help.

Another reason for happy days, days OFF. Have five in a row. Just plan on doing NOTHING but catch up on sleep, switch over my wardrobe from summer to winter (boo hoo, it's time - I've finally put the heater on), read some books and catch up with friends.

After my recent dating DISASTER I feel like I'm ready to get back into the dating world. Will give myself until after the half-mara - when my commitments will ease off a bit - and then try some RSVP action! Why the hell not? The worst that can happen is I have a few bad dates?? So long as you play it safe - public places, short dates, and tell people where you're going.

Anyhoo, that's my life for the moment.

No comments: