Sunday 26 October 2008

Sadness

No, not me. I'm fine. This morning's breakfast was held by my good friend to raise money for Beyond Blue. It's been three years since she was diagnosed with bipolar. The sadness was what I could see in her face. I just wanted to grab her and hug her and tell it was all okay. But is everything okay? Can I know what's going on in her life and her head, beyond what she tells me?

Anyway, I was chatting to my dear friend C who agreed she could see the sadness in her face and actions and we were wondering what we could do to cheer her up. Ultimately, though, we decided that there was nothing you could do to help someone, really, beyond being there for them and trying to keep their spirits going and keep them in the loop. You know, keeping occupied with activities I think distracts you from sadness.

Not sure where I was ever going with this post, beyond making a commitment to helping my friend in whatever way I can to keep her out of the shadow of the "black dog".

No comments: