Tuesday 28 October 2008

Confused by food

Gaaaah. I remembered today why I always try to bring my lunch ... firstly, there is just an crap selection of food places around here (work); secondly, then I know exactly what I'm eating. In terms of carbs, fats, protein etc. Went out for lunch today and bought a salad ... actually, a mix of three. And as I was walking back to the office, I was more closely investigating the bean mix, spotting corn in there ... and the lentil salad bit had onion in there! And the pumpkin salad had chickpeas. It was all rushing through my mind ... how much protein, carbs, etc am I eating, and is the onion going to set off an "episode" of IBS (Irritable Bowel Syndrome).

Going to the nutritionist tomorrow to get everything clear in my head. Just so confused by food. Used to happily* eat 1/2 cup of porridge made with water every morning, but then another friend told me that this was bad as way too many carbs. But then, is less than 200 calories for all that and has lots of fibre, plus other good things. Also, it's low GI so it fills me up until 11am or so.

Then was eating a banana and realised it was bad, as is high GI. Then ate tiny handful of trail mix, and was thinking 'eeek, dried fruit = high in sugar'.

There are lots more incidents (is Equal cancer causing?), but they can all be summed up by "gaaaaaaaaaaaaaah". Ha ha.

Have first of six appointments tomorrow morning, and I am committed to eating whatever I am told, whenever I am told. It's her JOB to know all this stuff, so am just going to pay her to teach me! Far easier than reading 10,000 conflicting views on the subject.

No comments: