Thursday 23 October 2008

Cranky

Hmm, well it seems the title of this blog is decidedly misleading! No running for me since the super-hard 10km race on Sunday. On Monday I did intend to go to Pump in the evening, but I got caught up shopping/chatting with a friend of mine, HC.

Tuesday I was, once again, SUPPOSED to go to the gym to go to Spin ... but I just left it too late to get there in plenty of time. I hate, hate arriving late to a class - even 30 seconds. Would rather have to wait 10 minutes than be late. So instead I decided to cook a really super-healthy dinner. And that, at least, I did. Went through my Biggest Loser cookbook and made the Scotch Broth. Lots of variations on the recipe, but essentially it's root veggies, a cheap cut of beef, herbs (I used thyme), pearl barley, onion, tomato paste and stock. The key to cooking something like this is time ... and I had that! I added a few extra veggies to pad it out a bit, so instead of making four servings it stretched to six. At a cost of less than $4 a serve. Pretty good!

I invited a friend around, D, because he'd called up to see what I was doing and sounded a bit bored and lonely. He certainly seemed to enjoy it! He got to eat about 1/4 of mine too because I got a bit full. Best of all, he brought some fresh mangos and Sara-Lee ice cream around for dessert. Mmm. Obviously that completely ruined the healthy dinner idea ... but damn it was yummy. And hey, mango has lots of good vitamins ... and I very rarely eat ice cream so it was a nice treat.

Wednesday night I made it to the gym, whoo hoo, and did 40mins on the bike at pretty hard pace, then 15 minutes on the cross-trainer thing ... worst thing was I forgot my damn IPod. Honestly, what is the point of having such a device if you just forget to take it where you need it? Hmm! Then did Pump in THE MOST packed class I have ever been it. It was ridiculous ... but great fun. I am such a cow, but I totally loved the fact that I had double the weights on compared with 90% of the women there. Mind you, they were pretty much all thinner than me ... but not fitter or stronger obviously. Not sure which I'd prefer.

In fact, was discussing this with a friend at dinner last night. A friend of ours, H, is an absolute boozehound. She's 32 and can drink more than any one I know. She turns into a ridiculous human being when she does though. And she's proud of the fact she was taken away in an ambulance from a work function. Anyhoo, despite the boozing she's very slim and attractive, but obviously unhealthy as she does very little exercise. So ... here was my thought, would I rather be slim (thereby APPEARING healthy) than my current existence which is a little bit of extra padding, but very fit and healthy? Hmm, long term no doubt the latter is better ... but still, would love just a year or six months at, like, 55kgs.

Hmm, insane ramblings indeed.

No comments: