Wednesday 28 January 2009

Triumphant Return!

Whooo hooo! I feel a million and one times better than I did at the same time last week ... which isn't terribly hard considering last Wednesday I could hardly stand up and it hurt to walk, sit down, lie down and go in between. Hurrah!

Tuesday saw me suffering in agony at the physio again ... dear GOD in heaven the man is a sadist, but I guess I can't complain too much because I am sooo much recovered. I could still really only manage a good hour-long walk, up some mighty hills around here mind you, but today I decided to give Bikram a go and see how I went. I opted for the 6.15am class because the room isn't quite as heated as it is for the arvo classes (more like 34C instead of 38C+), and I think they shave about 10mins off the class time. I did 95 per cent of the moves, the only one I didn't do or even attempt was the sit up because the instructor recommended I not do this as it's known to aggravate lower back conditions. Which was a shame because I really like them! Instead I did some pelvic work - which my physio showed me - and then joined the rest of the class, felt mildly stupid ... but what the hell, better than putting my recovery back.

So, that is a very good start. Today went to the Sydney Aquarium for the first time since I've lived in Sydney (uhhh, nine years this month!) and had a fabulous time! I saw the Dugongs ... awww, they're sooo cute. And learnt that they're actually most closely related to elephants than any marine animal. Amazing. Walked all over Darling Harbour, and escaped the city before peak hour cranked itself up to full throttle.

Feeling sooo much more positive than at this time last week, mind you I felt like a cripple and really just wanted to crawl - painfully - into a hole for a while. But I didn't! And I've survived the worst (touch wood, touch wood), so things can only get better. Two weeks 'til training starts for the next half-mara, so that's all I'm thinking of/focusing on - being right to start with everyone else. I will do whatever it takes! Still no running, physio said maybe this weekend ... heh, am I terrible if I try it before then?? He IS the expert so perhaps I should respect this fact - and the fact that I am actually PAYING for his advice/service - but I am still tempted. Surely a teeny 20 minute run can't hurt? We shall see, I'll see how I recover from Bikram and today's walking efforts.

Anyhoo, that's really all for now. But I just needed to shout from ... uh, my blogspot, I'M BACK. Yeeees.

No comments: