Monday 28 September 2009

Challenges

After running my third half-marathon for 2009 a week ago, celebrating my 31st birthday at the CanToo Spring Charity Ball and meeting some truly remarkable people at a friends 40th birthday party I've decided to issue myself a new challenge. I'm going to do the swim program with CanToo and train to do a 2.7km ocean swim!

There are some smaller races that I could nominate to train for - a 1km and 2km but I figure I might as well go for the big one. And really, 1km I could do now without too much effort and if you've swum 2km, what difference does another 700m make? Nothing! The biggest challenge will be facing putting on a swimming costume and wearing it in public with people I know quite well.

Aside from the fact I really feel like I need to shake things up a bit physically, I met some people at this party who are either cancer survivors or have recently been diagnosed with cancer. One guy I met, who is about 35, has been diagnosed with terminal cancer. TERMINAL cancer. I cannot imagine what he is going through, but he signed up for the swim program to help raise $$ for cancer research. What a legend! If I received that diagnosis I'm not sure I would handle it so well.

So that starts on November 5th. The Bikram challenge starts in four days! I am starting it today though - going to try to do four classes this week. My goal is to do four classes a week for the first 30 days, two classes on the weekend and two classes in the evening during the week. Then for the last 30 days I am going to try to do 5 classes a week, two on the weekend and three during the week. But as a minimum four a week in any combination will see me complete the challenge successfully.

I would REALLY like to lose a 5kg before summer, at a minimum. Although that's 5kg of the flabby stuff. Really I just want to feel a bit lighter and brighter. I figure I'm putting in all the right things, so the results should follow.

In terms of nutrition, I am following the low GI eating system as well as trying to only eat 'whole foods', nothing processed. Oats for breakfast, fruit and nuts for snacks, yoghurt, salad and veggies, lean meat and low GI carbs. And obviously drinking tonnes of water to counter the effects of Bikram. I was chatting to an instructor the other day who said he'd weighed his towel before and after a Bikram class to see how much he'd sweated ... and his towel was FIVE KILOS heavier. That's five litres of sweat. Which means that after a class he needed to drink five litres of water minimum to prevent dehydration! Lordy. Made me realise why I felt so dreadful after some classes when I'd only drunk a litre or so before and after class. Need more liquid!

Bizarre weather in Sydney of late, my poor flat is coated in dust and my CAR. Yikes. So this week is all about cleaning. Or dusting and vacuuming anyway.

No comments: