Friday 18 September 2009

Serious Running

So this weekend is my third half-marathon for 2009, my fourth all together! I am not feeling as mentally focused as I have been ahead of previous events, due to all the other stuff going on, but I am confident of finishing in under two hours (my number one goal) and if I am feeling good at 15km I am going to push to get in under 1hr57mins. Last year when I ran this event I was just so focused on a) finishing and b) finishing in under two hours that I barely took in any of the scenery. And, um, hello! This race has the best scenery of them all! Over the Harbour Bridge - right down the middle of the road - through Pyrmont, out to Leichhardt (okay, that bit is pretty boring), but then along Circular Quay to finish at the Opera House! Whoo hoo.

Went to my final CanToo training session on Wednesday, despite feeling pretty rubbish, but after the warm-up I actually felt pretty good. Ran 3x1000m at 5.25min pace! So maaayybe there is hope that one time I will run a 1hr50min half-mara. Mind you 21x1000m is a lot different than 3. But you've got to start somewhere, right? It's all about getting into the right rhythm AND, of course, being fit enough to maintain it.

Did my first Bikram Yoga session on Thursday after months and months (when things went mental at work actually) and nearly fainted several times. Literally had the blurred/darkened vision and weird numb feeling in my hands. Yikes! However, there's only one way to get better - keep going! So planning to head back on Monday morning post-half mara. Should be good!

The other running news ... well, exercise news, is some of my faboosh CanToo pals have started a little training group. Nothing fancy, just a group of people who want to get fit! Or fitter anyway. This morning we did an hour and it involved a 2km warmup jog, then a range of nasty short and sharp shuttle runs, think I did about 100 push ups and sit ups plus a 10 minute core work out. Was pretty darn tough, but man it felt good! Whoo hoo!

In other news ... so freaking excited, I am no longer unemployed. Details to follow another time, but yay! Feel like a weight has lifted off my shoulders. Well, one of a number of weights. Would like to lift about 8kg off my entire self actually ... but that's also for another post.

No comments: