Sunday 8 February 2009

The Big Picture

Not so much about weight-loss, crappy jobs and the like today.

I am just so horrified, shocked and upset by the stories and images coming through re: the bushfires in Victoria. As I write, something like 65 confirmed dead and fears the final toll is bound to reach well over this. Most from the same few towns, which are all very small communities. This article made me wish I could send the water currently flooding Far North Queensland in the opposite direction. What's equally as bad is the fact it's not over! There are something like 8 fires still burning, out of control, and the best the firies can hope for is to create containment lines and hope they hold.

The thought of seeing a firefront approaching, having to decide to get in the car and leave your house, livestock, possessions etc behind, and then get caught in the road somewhere, surrounded by flames and perishing is just ... oh, beyond words.

I am praying for those people and their families and friends. I hope the rain gets there soon!

So, yeah, today this kind of snapped me out of my bad funk. It made me realise sure I have my "problem areas", but at least I haven't lost everything - including my life - and despite recent back issues, I have my health, I have A job which pays pretty good and isn't totally horrendous most of the time, my parents are healthy and well, and I have my friends who care about me and love me in spite of my flaws etc. While some bodies might be perfect, nobody is perfect so I really should just accept things - the good and the bad - and start to enjoy my life and the pursuit of my goals instead of wishing I could just achieve the goals, thinking my life will be complete if I have less wobbly thighs, more toned upper arms and a six-pack.

I guess for me Living Life Course 101 started today. I hope I get a High Distinction!

No comments: