Friday 9 October 2009

Zero running but mucho Bikram

It's Friday night and maaaaan I am shattered. First week at the new job was awesome. A simply fantastic department of people, talented, switched on, friendly and hard working. I started off the week slightly freaked out that I was out of my depth, but after each day I felt a little bit better and a little more confident that I was up to the challenges ahead.

I managed four Bikram classes this week, a definite record in my books. Was tough and somewhat insane as I have been getting home from work just after 6pm and having to head back out the door at 7pm for the late Bikram session. Home about 9.30pm, bed by 10.30pm and up again at 7am at the latest. Not much time for much in between. Anyway, next week we'll see how we go. Think the Bikram helped to deal with the stress factors of work and public transport (URGH hateful train system) and the bloody awful weather. Temp hasn't been above 18C all week. And sure that's fine, but some idiot (toot - me!) washed all their winter woollies and had their jackets cleaned/dry cleaned and packed them away and now ... I need them. But the same idiot packed them in the more modern version of moth balls ... but almost as stinky (and hopefully just as effective).

It's so interesting though. Each Bikram class is its own challenge. One day I achieve an extra inch or two in one stretch, and the next day I've lost an inch but gained more in another posture. One class the heat barely bothered me, another I felt like I was going to spontaneously combust I was so hot and uncomfortable. First week, however, so I'm sure there are a lot more 'interesting' experiences to come in Bikram.

Should/could go for a run tomorrow but I have been battling some sort of sickness all week. Glands in my throat up, sore throat, fever etc ... but I have been willing myself not to get sick. And so far managed pretty well. So do not think running around in the rain will help, much better to stick to the hot, sweaty torture of Bikram. It does seem to help - purging toxins and all that.

Can't wait for a quiet weekend, catching up on some sleep and just ... absorbing all the information thrown at me and the work stuff that happened during the week.

Hope everyone in blog land is well and has a great weekend, toot toot.

No comments: