Saturday 17 October 2009

Kennel cough and Bikram ... and second week of new job

Ahhh, this has been a tough week. What I thought was a slight cold or case of hayfever turned into hideous sinus infection with horrible cough. Fabulously timed with second week of the new job, which was extremely demanding as I was having the second website I am going to be producer for handed over to me, plus being in charge of the first website for the first week and stuff.

Fortunately I sounded much worse than I actually felt, which is probably better than feeling horrible but sounding fine. On Monday I gave in and went to the doctor on the way home after work instead of going to Bikram and got my first lot of anti-biotics in god knows how long. Hah, five days later I'm marginally better but really not convinced of the effect of the drugs! Think it's just run its course.

Despite missing Bikram on Monday, I managed to go three days through the week. Struggled due to blocked nose. Bikram focuses a lot on breathing through the nose and keeping your breathing controlled, which was pretty much impossible due to my blocked nasal passages. Breathing through the mouth isn't ideal as apparently it stimulates the adrenal glands and makes your heart beat faster ... not ideal when you're in a super-heated room and pushing yourself into challenging positions. Bah. But anyway, hopefully one or two more days and I'll be breathing normally again.

Aside from kennel cough and terrifying colleagues with coughing fits and going through a box of tissues in a week, work was bloody awesome. So excited about some of the future prospects. First big interview coming up next week ... hopefully will not sound as diseased and terrify the 'talent'.

Only managed one run this week, in an effort to shift nasal blockage ... thought maybe the jolting would help shift it, but absolutely no effect. And wheezing cough did not make it fun either. Will attempt the morning runs again next week!

Bikram challenge is going well, currently at 13 classes in 17 days which I'm pretty happy with. Cannot help but miss Friday classes as there's no 7.30pm class and still cannot decide if going to the 6.15am class will make me late for work or exhaust me for the entire day. I think if I can make it to the other four classes during the week and both days on the weekend that will keep me on track to complete the 40 classes in 60 days.

So it's week two of the challenge (two and a bit technically), and this week my body has been tired and sore. I'm told this is normal! Aside from the soreness though, I've really started to feel some changes in my body. Not so much seen them, but hopefully that will come in the next, what, 43 days - ha ha. Still very tight in some joints ... well, most joints, but especially my hips and knees. Think running and desk job for the last 10 years can be partially held responsible. Look forward to feeling them open up a bit!

No comments: