Wednesday 18 March 2009

What a difference...

I don't know if it's the Bikram, the running, the Pump or any of the other stuff I've been doing ... but something seems to be working! I am ignoring the scales, mainly because mine are in no way accurate and I hate getting on them in the gym (they're in the middle of the weights area AND are those old fashioned ones which do not make it easy to do a quick weight check), but things are looking HEAPS different. Especially the arms, especially the hated upper arms ... suddenly I'm not hating them quite so much, I'm seeing more definition and when I brush my teeth there's nothing dangling from under my arm! Noice.

I actually think the biggest change is in my head. I went to Canberra to watch my dear Brumbies BEAT THE LIFE out of the hapless Waratahs on Friday, took me ol' dad and my mum tagged along in lieu of my little bro who had to stay in Sydney. Found out - via Facebook - that an old uni friend of mine was going, so we organised to catch up for a drink at the game and head out afterwards. We went to pretty much the ONLY pub in Canberra I know, and I had one of those fabulous nights you replay in your mind 1001 times a day.

The pub was PACKED, but the crowd had such a good natured vibe it was unbelievable (or maybe un-Sydney). The line for the bar was four deep all the way around, but people weren't getting pissy, the bar staff were rushed off their feet but were still friendly, and those waiting were well-mannered and friendly, chatting and following the bar honour code - knowing who was there first and letting that order before them. Bumping into people in the crowd didn't result in a filthy look, but a happy smile! Whoo hoo.

It was soooo hot inside, so my friend and I escaped outside where it was also packed but at least had some ventilation. We sat at a big table which was half-empty and immediately its occupants started chatting to us, they soon left and more people came and struck up a conversation. I love conversations with strangers ... you never know what they might have to say!

Anyway, my friend had gone off to the loo and bar and I was happily sitting and waiting for her when this guy trips on the uneven paving stones and almost lands in my lap. Hah, what luck, I think. We got chatting about the game, he was a Waratahs supporter (sucker) and I enjoyed gently ribbing him about the game. The hilarious twist came when my friend came back from the loo and he recognised her ... from uni, the same uni I went to! Suddenly my mind took 10 years off him, and added some hair and I did vaguely recognise him ... but he absolutely did not recognise me. I didn't think it necessary to point out that since uni days I've lost about 15kg ... oh, and stopped letting friends cut my hair, stopped wearing jeans/RMs/rugby jerseys every day and started wearing heels, nice clothes and make-up.

This guy was with a big group (ie: 15) of guys who were on a boys weekend away ... yeah, I thought Canberra was an odd location too, but oh well! Soon enough I found myself surrounded by these men who all wanted to talk to me, tell me how fabulous I was and make me laugh. They seemed to alternate, introduce themselves, have a bit of a chat before the next one barged in and did the same. Soon I was happily ensconced in a conversation with four of the guys, including the uni guy, and my friend - no, I hadn't forgotten about her.

The next thing I know this gorgeous, gorgeous man good naturedly elbows the guy closest to me out of the way saying "excuse me, we haven't met" ... looks me fair in the eye and says "Hi, I'm XXXX", replied with "Hi XXXX, I'm Amanda - nice to meet you". Then HE says, in front of these five other people, "Hi Amanda, you are absolutely beautiful" ... then moves on to introduce himself to my friend. It was so smooth I wanted to vomit on him ... but at the same time you could NOT wipe the smile off my face ... argh, I'm such an easy touch, flattery will get you everywhere. Managed to pick up the conversation with the original group, but this guy had other ideas ... jostling people around so he could stand next to me and then took the conversation in a completely different direction.

It continued along that vein for the next hour or so, I would start talking to other guys in the group or my friend - and sooner or later MrX would be squeezing in next to me, pushing some other bloke out of the way to talk to me. God, call me pathetic, shallow or whatever but I was LOVING it. It has been SO long since I had some male attention ... despite two years with D!! I had forgotten what it was like to actually be desired by the opposite sex, to be flirted with, charmed and have people vying for your attentions.

I'm not sure if it was me, or the other guys in Mr X's group, but one or all of us gave in and while they would join conversations with me - they realised that Mr X had an agenda and did not try so hard to flirt with me. As for my friend, I TRIED to stay with her - I really did - but she did seem happy in conversation with various guys. I should mention that while I love my friend dearly and loved catching up with her, at the time when the uni guy nearly fell into my lap the conversation well was running a tad dry. We do not have nearly as much in common, she still dresses like we both did at uni ... but with a bit more of a surf edge, and she still makes no effort with hair or make-up. Each to their own, but it made me realise how very different I was to that girl from 10 years ago - naturally!

After MUCH cajoling Mr X finally convinced me to join him inside for a dance. In fact, I think it was uni guy who said "just go have a dance with him, he won't bite!" that pushed me over the edge. On the dancefloor, in front of a pimply uni student cover band who weren't half-bad, we joined the sweaty crowd for some dancing ... unfortunately the song was Funky Town which is NOT really one of the best dance hits in the history of music. There was air guitar ... from both of us. Yeah, it was lame but it was very appropriate and funny. And then, on that sweaty, packed dancefloor filled with uni students and rugby fans, Mr X kissed me! It was absolutely one of those frozen-in-time moments, when all the people around us faded away ... and it was a nice kiss. No tongue, soft and lingering ... ahhhh.

That was enough for me, not being one to partake in pub pashing (hello - tacky much?), I made him go back outside and rejoin the group ... where I found my friend making her escape. I felt sooo bad, so VERY bad for leaving her ... but I was just electric after Mr X's kiss. Oops, my bad. The boys' weekend group seemed to be disbanding, with some going for pizza, some going to other pubs etc. Mr X convinced me to go for a walk with him, to the nightclub where the group were heading next. Naturally I was apprehensive, but he did seem harmless enough and nice.

So we walked, chatted, sat down, chatted. I cannot recall how, but we soon discovered an absolute MOUNTAIN of things in common. Horse riding, pony club, growing up in small-ish country coastal towns, sport, personality, likes, dislikes. It was literally unbelievable. We talked and talked about growing up, about work, about ambitions ... oooh, it was just brilliant.

Anyway, due to the fact I had been up since about 6am, done Bikram, cleaned the house and driven to Canberra I soon hit that sleepy wall that - combined with the six drinks I'd had - was impossible to get over. Mr X only propositioned me once ... but it was a flat out no from me as that is NOT my thang. Not anymore anyway. After meeting up with some of the group, I decided I just HAD to go before I lost my ability to be funny and witty, and fell asleep in the corner. Mr X walked me to a taxi, leaned over the top of the door for a kiss and waved me goodbye.

Ahhhh, a fabulous night.

Oh, and yes - he got my number. Yes, he called. And YES, I am seeing him on Friday!!!!!

No comments: