Saturday 6 December 2008

Keeping on Track

At the risk of sounding like a whingey whiner ... god it's hard to be good during the silly season. In the next three days I have a boozy lunch, champagne breakfast and - on the same day - a colleague's leaving lunch. Friday is the work Christmas party, Saturday another party ... and on it goes.

I know all the classic tips for avoiding over-eating and over-drinking. You know, drink water first, alternate alcoholic drinks with water, avoid salty/fried/fatty etc nibbles, eat something healthy before you go so you're not as hungry or tempted to eat crap than you want to. It's just not that EASY when you're faced with silver platters of gorgeous food, champagne glasses that seem to refill themselves and it could be the desert for how difficult it can be to find water. Then, of course, there's the impact the consumption of all of the above on your ability to drag yourself out of bed early for a run or to go to the gym, and similarly AFTER work you often have to rush home to get ready, or rush home to flake out on the couch exhausted from late nights and bad food.

Having said that ... I am REALLY trying. Trying to be super saintly with gym and food and running. Had little chat with myself last night, pointing out how when I run and eat healthy I feel so much better ... so surely it's logical that I do these things rather than try to turn myself into a wine bag. After two drinks or so that logical thinking just seems to leave me and I say "oh what the hell" and hook in.

Anyway, went for a nice hilly run this morning at 6am to avoid the heat of the day ... was already quite warm, and by 8am temps were hitting 29C. Yay, summer. Unfortunately spending the day INSIDE at work, poo! Bright side is that I then have three days off. Noice.

Welp, better get back to it. Hmm, cup of tea first though I think!

No comments: