Tuesday 4 November 2008

The Thighs Have It

I was at Bikram yesterday, sweating like the proverbial in the 40C room, hoping I wouldn't feel like fainting/dying as in previous classes, scrutinising my body. Not in a negative "oh you fat cow" sort of way, but in a "yes, this is good, this is bad and THAT is those biscuits/chocolate/chips" etc etc.

The weekend saw a slight deviation from my usually very healthy/whole foods eating. Saturday night's comedy thingo went MUCH longer than expected, and the support acts were just so awful that I found myself in an impromptu acting class - pretending to laugh! I just couldn't sit there silently while these entirely UNfunny blokes committed comedy suicide on stage just three metres away from me. So, all that forced laughing, smiling etc gave me the worst headache and made me so, so, so tired. Queue the chips and Red Bull at the 'half-time' break, or intermission for non sports-obsessed folk. Damn you chips! I didn't read the label, I KNOW what they're worth on the calorie/fat scale. The only thing I can say is I didn't eat all of them, and only drank half of the chemical-laden Red Bull.

Sunday I slept in ... well, until 7am, after getting home after 1am stone cold sober AND knackered. Had a day off! Eeep. And ate a few huge handfuls of choc covered sultanas and peanuts. Very bad ... not least because of the IBS side-effects.

Ahem! Anyhoo, back on topic. I was staring at myself in the mirror at Bikram while doing a range of postures. Stomach/torso is good ... ish, or getting there. Arms are definitely getting there - yay push-ups, dips, curls etc. Calves are muscular blocks thanks to running and the rest. And yes, ladies and gentlemen, the thighs have it. The fat that is! Sides are still nicely toned, but all the crap I've been eating seems to have accumulated on the front of my quads. Fabulous, just fabulous. It's no visual illusion either, put on the 'original' skinny jeans today and while they're fine around butt/hips, stomach, on the thighs I looked like I was wearing leggings - which I NEVER do.

So, anyhoo, back to the super-health. To that end, as I type I am making up a batch of "super-veg" soup. Weather has been so crudite of late that it's impossible to predict how often I can eat it (no soup in 25+ temps), but will be handy to have in little containers in the fridge for emergencies.

Must keep focussed though. Have wedding on Friday, but thankfully am wearing dress that's completely flattering and just skims the thighs. So I'm saved. I am, however, attending a wedding in a month's time where I plan to wear a dress that's completely unforgiving. Right now is passable, but over the boobs it pulls a bit. Will be fine if I can just get a few kgs off and kick the bloat. So - stay on track girl! Not on the pull or nuttin', just want to feel confident and happy and not be folding arms over gut all night.

As a quick extra note, I jumped on iTunes on Saturday while killing time before going to the gym/comedy and went hunting for a song from a very old Body Combat track - circa 2003!!! Crap, was it THAT long ago? After some extensive Googling and whatnot, I found the name, did the iTunes search and yep, yep - it was there. Whoo hoo. Downloaded both versions and added to my running playlist. Has nice fast beat, and even after all these (five) years it remains one of my favourite Body Combat memories.

Haven't been running since - oops! But plan on Pumping tomorrow, then going to an incredibly daggy concert that will be super-fun. Def Leppard and Cheap Trick, with the Galvatrons in support! Whoo hoo, bring on the hair bands. So excited.

No comments: