Friday 7 November 2008

New Food

This morning I saw my lovely nutritionist to get my "food plan". Thankfully she said my food was "mostly good", but I have confused not only my mind but also my body after reading 1001 things about fats, carbs, proteins and whatever else. Everything she said made sense, I'd just never put it all together in my head ... something about seeing the woods for the trees or whatever.

I think where I was going wrong was not maintaining a balance through the day, especially in terms of carbs. When it comes to carbs my thinking has always been a slight bastardisation of the old "eat like a king at breakfast, queen at lunch and pauper at dinner", breakfasts were generally carb heavy, lunch less so and generally NONE past 3pm. Heh, wrong! For me anyway, but basically what this does is cause a spike in insulin levels as the body tries to break the carbs down, which then staggers up and down each time I eat something after that. THEN because I wasn't eating any in the arvo, I essentially put my body into "freak out starvation mode" where it just slowed right down in case it didn't get any more carbs. Or something.

Plus, I found out that sushi rice is the worst rice there is for maintaining weight loss ... and I definitely eat sushi at least once or twice a week. No more of that thanks!

Anyhoo, the plan is to maintain a carb balance, and boost the protein intake. So, breakfast will still be muesli/porridge - but 1/2 a cup, with 2 tabs yoghurt and 1/2 cup skim milk - no added fruit. Alternatively, two slices of Burgen bread (toasted) with avocado and tomato or other non-fatty spread.

Lunch should be either multi-grain roll or Burgen bread, with salad and protein (tuna/salmon, avocado, chicken), OR a salad with a small can of four-bean mix or chickpeas, OR left-overs from dinner - provided it's healthy, OR my veg and chickpea soup.

Dinner is to be much the same really. When eating red meat, should be about 100g - size and width of palm, fish should be size of hand, slightly smaller for chicken, should eat about the same of carby stuff - a small/med potato, pasta, the GOOD rice (Basmati) or noodles, and then as many veggies as I can take!

So, it all starts today. Well, for most of today. Going to a wedding tonight where I SWEAR I will try to eat all the good options and no dessert ... but we shall see. To aid me in this endeavour I'm going to have a slightly later lunch at 2pm - big salad sandwich ... and I mean big in terms of salad content, not bread, and am going to take an apple and some carrot bits with me to much on. Well, that's the plan. Obviously won't drink too much as going running tomorrow at 7.30am - don't want no hangovers. Having said THAT, three is my limit ... I need something to take the edge off and try not to think about my arms flapping around. Eeek, must do more pump.

In other non-food related news, had a major freak-out last night. First - some background. On January 7th this year, I woke up at about 11pm to some very loud banging on the door of my flat. I was soooo out of it, because I go to bed at 9.30pm as I get up at 4.30am/5am, and wondering firstly how the hell someone got into the building without me buzzing them in, and secondly who the hell it was. It turned out to be my lovely nextdoor neighbour, Anne, who told me my car was on fire. And oh yes, it was! There were three firetrucks in the street (whose arrival had not woken me up), and as I wandered out - bleary eyed - into the street there was a guy trying desperately to hack into the bonnet of my car with a sledgehammer thing because they were worried the engine was going to blow up.

It was horrible and traumatic, and took me about a month to get a new car sorted after jumping through a range of insurance claim related hoops and whatnot.

SO, you can imagine my panic when at about 9.30pm last night - just as I was hopping into bed with my book and cup of tea - I smelt smoke wafting in the window, and realised I could hear all sorts of voices and the sound of a big vehicle of some sort. OMFG. I quickly pulled on some clothes and went outside - in my Ugg boots, bogan that I am - and YES, it had happened again. But not to me, thank GOD and all the angels as I just couldn't have handled it right now. It was, however, only two cars away from mine! Gah. I joined the small crowd of people gathered around. Similar story to my car - someone had poured some type of accelerant on the back tyre and lit it. This time, however, they had done a trail of the accelerant to a couch and some other council pick-up waste not far away - which had caught alight and THEN set fire to the tree it was lined up against, which had spread to the branches of some other trees.

PHEW! Was soooo smoky and horrible, and I just wanted to run back to my flat and grab my stuff and flee. Obviously, it wasn't going to happen, but that's how I felt. Wandered back to my flat feeling very sorry for whoever's car it was - although it didn't actually look like a write-off (mine was DEAD dead dead), so maybe it was only superficial damage. Then spent a good hour wondering if I should move, if I could afford to move (heh, not REALLY and just can't face moving right now), and if I wanted to move. Hmmm. Think the general consensus was "no" to all of the above, especially on the $$$ front, am just in too good a place to move right now.

Mucho drama in North Ryde. Ha ha ha.

Alrighty, I'm off now. Got to pop into work for a while before heading off for a swim and then coming home to start wedding preparations. Whoo hoo.

No comments: