Wednesday 19 August 2009

Not dead ... but refocussed!

Have finally got over the maddening poison-ivy itching and my tan is, alas, fading.

The only thing remaining from my fab Hawaiian holiday is my gut! Although a better description is some extra padding around the stomach. Damn that food. I have been struggling badly with jet lag and loss of routine since I came back but I'm finally starting to feel like I'm regaining some sort of control. Helped by the fact I've had the last two days off work, as part of the roster not on annual leave, and I've caught up on a heap of washing and cleaning. And food shopping.

Going on a bit of a sugar-free diet. Well, refined sugar-free anyway and processed food-free. Although I hate the word diet. Rather, I'm just trying to cut out a heap of rubbish. It's all fruit, veg, plain yoghurt, nuts and seeds and green tea. Basic meal structure has been: 1/2 cup organic muesli with 2 tabs plain greek yoghurt and 1/4 cup organic skim milk; piece of fruit for a snack; either a salad with egg or tuna or sandwich with burgen bread with much the same; dinner has been 1/2 cup Doongara (LowGI) rice/Quinoa or pasta/soba noodles with either grilled or oven baked chicken or fish and a load of veggies. Only using fresh herbs and spices to season.

So far ... urgh, I'm a bit tired but that could be from a range of things! Not drinking alcohol for about three weeks either ... or for as long as I can hold off for anyway. A glass or two is alright, but no big nights until Friday 25th of September.

Race is five weeks away. Don't think I'm on track for 1hr 55min but if I can get under 1hr 57min I will be happy. Although, I really enjoyed running the Gold Coast half-mara with no real goal beyond under 2hours so I might just stick with that again. Frankly I'm not some super star athlete, and I don't think there's anything wrong with running something for enjoyment rather than to two a minute or two off your time. I'm in this running gig for the long run, not short term, so I think enjoyment is far better than results. For now.

I've entered though! Yikes! Roll on September 20th. I want to lose a good 5cm off my waist by then. Think once I bash off the holiday bloat it will all trim down quite quickly. It's all those refined carbs that have pumped me up! Oh, and the booze.

Things at work are a bit hairy right now ... find out about my job (ie: if I still have one) in about a week and a half. Just carrying on with business as usual until then. But man, fingers, toes, legs and eyes crossed! Do not want to have to start looking for a new job right now!

No comments: