Monday 11 January 2010

The de-clutter

I am now ready to face the new decade (don't start with me about it not being the new decade, I am calling it the new decade - the end!) after spending a good chunk of the glorious weekend cleaning up my flat.

I should say, that at no point is it ever terribly dirty. It's just messy because it's tiny and I have a lot of stuff. Plus, I tend to be quite sentimental with things so find it hard to throw them away. Not on the weekend! I did have reinforcements though, in the form of my mum and dad. Ahh yes, it's sad but I think they quite enjoyed it - especially bossing me around! I didn't work them too hard, but they helped me to be more objective about things. I got rid of old linen and towels, or at least got them out of the house. I did a major clothing audit and got rid of anything that was old, didn't fit (either too big or way too small), I didn't wear for whatever reason etc etc. It was impressive. I did the same to my rather impressive shoe collection, and threw out seven pairs! Most of them were old, or ones that I had bought on the spur of the moment and ignored the fact they were inappropriate/uncomfortable etc.

Ahh, brilliant. Then I gave the house a major clean from top to bottom, including borrowing my mum's fancy steam mop to do the bathroom and kitchen. Both are tiny, so it took about three minutes to do. But it feels great.

I feel totally cleansed! I also ordered some new bookshelves, which are coming this weekend, so I can finally sort out my books. I love books and refuse to throw them away, but they are currently scattered through-out the house. One small bookshelf, two boxes, and a stack of about 15 next to my bed.

Phew.

So, running has been converted to swimming for a little while until the running training season starts properly in February. I did a 2km ocean race at Newport last weekend. The weather was HORRENDOUS. Windy, raining, cold and a big heavy swell with 2m waves that were dumping right on the beach. I may be mad, but I loved it. Aside from anything else, it was warmer in the water than outside it - especially when in a swimming costume. About halfway through I found myself marvelling at the amazing feeling of going over the big hump of a wave, being lifted up and gently sliding down it. Feeling fit and healthy, swimming 2km at 10am on a wet and cold Sunday morning when a good proportion of Sydney-siders were still tucked up in bed or, at the very least, inside enjoying a hot cup of tea or coffee.

I hate swimming much less than I did two months ago, but I am still really looking forward to getting back into serious running. I've been picking it up a bit myself, and have a fair way to go to get as fit (in terms of running) as I would like to be before training starts.

Anyway, here's to a de-cluttered 2010 and decade.

No comments: