Thursday 5 July 2007

Oh I tripped

Falling over and I seem to go hand in hand. My most recent fall was on Tuesday when going on a training run, in the dark. I regularly run this course because it's a relatively easy 7km, well lit and plenty of other people around. Only this time I opted to do the extra 2.5km loop, which I've never done before - owing to the fact that I was only 1.5km from home and feeling so GOOD. Well, within three minutes I realised I'd made a very bad decision - the extra loop was very badly lit - if at all in most places - and had a lot of bushes and trees along one side, perfect place for someone to hide! Now, I'm no scaredy-cat - I know how to handle myself, I don't panic in these situations, but I prefer not to BE in them in the first place.

So anyway, about 1km into this run I trip on a huge bump in the path where a tree root is growing underneath - pitching forward in a most graceful manner, putting my hands out to stop myself (never a good idea) and landing on my right knee, putting a hole in my running tights. FABULOUS. Not only that, but I still had a good 2km to go before I was back at my starting point.

This in itself would no bother me, but as I alluded to earlier - I am always falling over. A few weeks ago I was running with my dog and she spooked at a sign in a real estate window, ran into my leg which collapsed and banged into my other leg and down I went - on the concrete! Ouch.

I fell down the stairs at my boyfriend's house about four months ago, although thankfully it was only down two steps and they're carpeted - although the carpet is what made me fall.

Last year I literally fell into the road while hailing a taxi, just fell down the gutter and landed on my knee and hip, put my back out for a good week or two. Wouldn't mind, but it was right in front of this really posh club that I was escaping from. AND in front of two friends of mine, and the taxi I was hailing with it's two passengers.

I also had a major running fall last year - but at full speed - which left me with concrete burn on my hands, a really banged up knee and face. Lovely! Should've taught me my lesson though - oops.

When I travelled around Europe I fell down in pretty much every country we went to, including walking into a hand railing in Venice, and an excellently placed shin-high pole in London.

And only two months before that I entertained the guests at my house warming NOT with my jelly shots, cocktails or nibblies (though there were plenty), but by going down at least eight carpeted stairs on my hands and knees after tripping in my heels. Lovely.

Anyway, that's my rant for today. I'm sick of falling down!

No comments: