Monday 9 July 2007

Money

I just have to say that I HATE money. The more I earn, the less effectively I spend it. I don't buy that much more stuff than I did when I earnt less money, I just buy more expensive stuff.

I still remember getting my first pay when I was working at a pub while I was at uni. It was brilliant, probably about $180 or so, and I bought skincare products and groceries - as well as paying rent of course. But back then I felt indulgent buying Loreal stuff. Now when I get paid it's straight to Clarins for very expensive cleanser, toner, moisturiser, eye cream, exfoliator, facial masks, serum ... and then on to Lancome for make-up! Foundation, eye-shadow, eye pencils, mascara, lip gloss, lip liner, blush, pressed powder, loose powder, bronzer ... arrgggh.

And with clothing ... do I really need to own nine pairs of jeans? Seems so! I've got light jeans, dark jeans, dark, DARK jeans, straight-leg jeans, boot-cut jeans, skinny jeans, baggy jeans, "just at home" jeans, going-out jeans. And pretty much the same for every category of my wardrobe.

Sometimes I wish I could go back to the simple life of uni and when I earnt a ridiculously low-wage. Sure, I didn't have as many clothes, they often weren't in fashion ... but at least I wasn't faced with the constant conundrum of what to wear, having enough time to do my hair etc etc.

Anyway, I'm pledging to cut back on all this type of expenditure from next week onwards (after I get paid and do bills etc), just buying the basics - and I'm determined to love it.

No comments: